Third Thursday Glens Falls Art Walk artist’s receptions are held at various locations around Glens Falls on the Third Thursday of each month, May – October, from 5-8 p.m. Experience the wealth of talent that the Glens Falls arts scene has to offer at over a dozen traditional and non-traditional gallery venues.
Join us in Downtown Glens Falls for the first Third Thursday Art Walk of 2013 – and the Art Walk’s 10th Season!
Come experience the wealth of talent our area offers – visual artists, writers, musicians and filmmakers! Enjoy lectures, artist demonstrations and theatrical performances, as well as our annual Chalk Fest in August.
Third Thursday is a great reason to get out and about in Downtown, check out some artwork and meet the artists who create it!
Third Thursday Glens Falls Art Walk artist receptions are held at various locations around Glens Falls on the Third Thursday of each month, May – October, from 5-8 p.m.
Maps of exhibiting venues are available at most participating venues.
-This month’s featured artist is Trina Quandt.
Mrs. Quandt describes her work and aritstic process:
“As an artist, I am interested in using common, everyday materials such as plastic wrap, plastic sheeting, and masking tape in a manner that removes the materials’ original uses and associations. An important characteristic of my work includes the plainly seen, ‘hand of the artist’, most evident in the repetitive processes I use to create my work.
In focusing on the nuance of my chosen materials, I am able to transform them into sculptures with a straight forward, yet ephemeral and fluid quality. Units, sections, and cellular bodies appear as consistent themes in my work, more as an accidental result of the process than an intended creation of form. I often work in sections as I develop my sculptures, relentlessly repeating processes such as rolling, dipping, or attaching in a mechanized and highly efficient manner.
Overall, my work is more a whisper than a shout. It creates a push-pull between ephemeral visual qualities when viewed at a distance and painstaking detail and production at closer vantage points. It at once keeps the viewer at a distance and draws them in. It is this delicate balance that I seek to create in my work – challenging the viewer to experience the sensations brought on by the work in its whole form, and the reveal of the closer look.”
Mrs. Quandt’s work will be exhibited at Elevation Pilates, 19 Ridge Street.
Stephen Gallucci tickling the ivories at UnCorked, 217 Glen.
Mr. Gallucci will be playing the one of a kind 1934 Bradbury piano being raffled off by APE.
Mr. Gallucci, along with artist Esmond Lyons, lovingly restored this piano, and donated it to APE as a fundraiser for the arts organizaion.
Tickets are only $10 each and are available until November 9, 2013 at Samantha’s Cafe and Catering or Rock HIll Bakehouse Cafe!
Sketch Design Lounge hosted at Minky Mink, 28 Ridge Street.
Get a sneak peek at Sketch Design Lounge, a fashion house offering custom illustrations, fashion arts and crafts classes, and illustration classes for all ages – also available for fabulous birthday or bachelorette parties, complete with a walk down the runway!
Thursday, May 16, 2013 (5-8PM)
1. The Glen at Hiland Meadows, 39 Longview, Queensbury – Artwork by Patrick Sullivan
2. Wallworks Gallery, 28 Logan, Glens Falls – Artwork by Bernice Mennis
3. 6 Pine Street Gallery – Artwork by Katherine Patterson and music with The Skirts at 6:15pm
4. Samantha’s Cafe and Catering, 11 Broad St., Union Square, Celebrating Abraham Wing, An Arts Collective
5. Rock Hill Bakehouse Café, 19 Exchange St. – Artwork by Caitlin Stedman
6. Coffee Planet, 140 Glen St – Artwork by Christopher Phelps and live performance from local band William Hale
7. Elevation Pilates, 19 Ridge St. – Sculpture by Trina Quandt
8. 2nd Floor Gallery at City Hall, 42 Ridge St. – NCAC Board Members’ Show
9. UnCorked Glens Falls, 217 Glen St. – Paintings by Kate Boyle and music with Mark Rabin
10. Crandall Public Library, 251 Glen St.
Folklife Center (downstairs from the Glen St. entrance) – Inspiring Hands, Heart & Mind: The Arts & Crafts of the Adirondack Folk School
2nd Floor Gallery – TBA
11. Lapham Gallery at LARAC, 7 Lapham Place – no exhibition this month
12. Sketch Design Lounge (not yet open – join Sketch Design Lounge at Minky Mink, 28 Ridge St.)
13. Core Glens Falls, 15 East Washington – Bellydance Troup, Kalila’s Jewels